Design Division works closely with other divisions and integrates them with its specific skills in all phases of "product development": from product planning, conceptual design, system and detail engineering, up to prototyping and product launch. Being aware of how industrial design represents a strategic tool for every enterprise wanting to compete in an increasing competitive environment, the Division pays particular attention to interpretation and development of new technology and production opportunities in terms of new functional, formal and communicative qualities to be transferred to products.
Design division carries out Industrial Design activity that, according to NACE classification, can be defined as: "creating and developing designs and specifications that optimize the use, value and aesthetics of a product, including the determination of the materials, mechanisms, forms, colors, surface of the product, taking into account human factors and user needs, safety, degree of appeal in the distribution market, use and maintenance of the product."
Design division carries out research and development to production entities wishing to invest in innovation and differentiation of their range of products/services, both in terms of improvement of existing products that the generation of radically new products. The working groups also support the enterprises in the study of design-oriented products to influence their market position.
Also, it offers a wide range of business services and operates mainly in the following areas: Medical, Lighting, Packaging, Interior, Furniture, Transportation and Outdoor Design.The main skills include:
- mentoring services to companies in development stages of industrial products:
- planning of industrial product; identification of customer/user needs; identification of product specifications; generation, selection and testing of concept; architecture of industrial product;
- CAD, executive technical drawings, assembly specifications, bill of materials, design for manufacturing
- rapid prototyping services, preproduction, rapid-manufacturing
- Ergonomic design, analysis and ergonomic validations in physical and virtual environment, analysis of work stations and study of ergonomic layout, design of interaction with environment, usability analysis and verification of physical interfaces
- Design for environmental sustainability: Life Cycle Design strategies (LCD), Life Cycle Assessment analysis (LCA)
- design protection services